JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (August 15, 2015) – A Jacksonville-based regional publication, First Coast Magazine, has been recognized for several achievements statewide at the 2015 Florida Magazine Association’s (FMA) Charlie Awards, including 2015 Magazine of the Year.
“We base our content on the idea of it not just being an experience for readers to enjoy, but also to use as a tool. It is a tool for our readers to learn more about the community they live and to go explore it,” says Nan Kavanaugh, Editor of First Coast Magazine. “This is not just a win for us, but for the entire First Coast. If there weren’t so many amazing stories to share here, our content wouldn’t be as inspired.”
The Charlie Awards is part of an annual conference that crowns publishers, writers, editors, artists, photographers, printers, marketers and others as the best among their peers in several different categories. Out-of-state magazine and newspaper professionals jury the awards.
With Charlie level being the highest honor, First Coast Magazine’s awards include:
- BEST OVERALL MAGAZINE: Consumer, between 20,000–50,000 Circulation (Charlie)
- BEST OVERALL, Design: Consumer, less than 50,000 Circulation (Charlie)
- BEST OVERALL, Writing: Consumer, less than 50,000 Circulation (Bronze)
- DIGITAL EXCELLENCE, Social Media Campaign (Charlie)
- DIGITAL EXCELLENCE, Best Online Video (Charlie)
- DESIGN EXCELLENCE, Best Department Design: All consumer magazines (Charlie)
- DESIGN EXCELLENCE, Best Single, Original B&W or Color Photography: All consumer magazines (Charlie)
- DESIGN EXCELLENCE, Best Use of Photography: All consumer magazines (Silver)
- DESIGN EXCELLENCE, Best Feature Design: Consumer, between 20,000–50,000 Circulation (Silver)
- WRITING EXCELLENCE, Best Department: All consumer magazines (Bronze)
“When we created this magazine we took a different approach; we created it for the readers. In creating content, we focused on how it would best serve our readers…not our bottom line,” says AJ Beson, Publisher of First Coast Magazine. “I want to thank my incredible team here at Beson4 Media Group. The work they put forth month after month is exceptional, and these awards are a testimony to that dedication to quality.”
Beson attributes the magazine’s success to his talented employees, loyal readership and captivating region, in which the publication centers.
About Florida Magazine Association
Founded in 1953, Florida Magazine Association, Inc. (FMA) creates a professional community for publishing professionals throughout the state. The largest state magazine association in the nation, FMA strives to “Promote excellence and the standing of magazines in the Florida publishing industry,” its vision, and “To be the forum for networking, education, recognition and advocacy for Florida’s magazine industry,” its mission. As an advocate for a free, thriving press, FMA voices its professionals’ concerns with media legislation, taxation, postal issues and industry trends at local, state and national levels.